Sunday 4 August 2013

Will Run'13

HI GUYS I HAVE COMPLETED RUNNING 11KM WITHOUT STOPPING IN 1.5H OMGOMGOMGOMG. I'M OFFICIALLY THE FITTEST OF THE YIP FAMILY HOHOHO.

Sorry I just had to start this post with that exclamation of excitement. Can you feel my overwhelming pride :D It's been a day since Will Run and I'm still in shock. It feels so unreal. Just yesterday I was running like there's no tmr and now I am in the comfort of my bed blogging. Well not really comfort cause of my horrible muscle ache. It actually hurts to sit but it was all worth it.

So for my friends who are equally in shock that I actually ran 11km, here's how the story goes...

Will Run is an event organised by SRJC where everyone needs to run at least 10km on the event. Teachers included! Omg right... What if you're just not a running person and you're forced to do it and you're probably laughing/crying to yourself (or maybe both at the same time) cause the furthest distance you've ran is 2.4km and you alr reached your max. That's a mouthful. Well that's kind of what went through my mind when I found out about it. Along with lol I'll walk the whole time, I'm gona faint, PE is gona suck as well as I wonder what I should buy online next. The last thought pretty much goes through my mind every single minute. Oops.

Before I went to SR, the furthest I've ran is 2.4km. In fact, last year after my 2.4km run, I had a mini asthma attack :/ I felt so giddy and suffocated. I actually cried after the run cause the feeling was so unbearable. I'm really not a running person. I'd rather dance, cycle or play games and perspire the same amount as I would if I ran. I'm gona say it but I HATE running. I don't understand the fun of it. People say you become happier when you run, well I say screw that. That's totally untrue for me and my whole body just aches after it. Hence I'm pretty sure you can sense of displeasure when I found out. To be honest, I wouldn't have gone to SR if I knew it was compulsory  to run 10km. Well by the time I found out, it was too late to change to another school so I just sucked it up and tried to make the best out of it.

I've heard stories from my seniors that Will Run is going to change your perspective and all but I didn't believe it then because I don't see how I would be happy doing something that I hate. It's not that I hate running but I don't see how I can possible run 2.4km x 4+ when I alr feel like dying after running 2.4km. During PE lessons before June, the maximum we ran was 2.4km because we were training for NAPFA. We did our usual training for the 5 stations as well. I dreaded PE lesson because I knew we had to run and I felt horrible after it.

After the June hols, when NAPFA was over, the first PE lesson would be for games and the second one would be to train for Will Run. We started with 3km, progressing to 4km then 5km. When I managed to finish running 3km without stopping, I remember the excitement I felt (even though I was really tired) because I managed to set a new record for myself! I know some of you guys run a lot so 3km is nth to you but to me, it's 600m more than what I've done my whole life! -Inserts an emoticon of a little girl doing a happy dance- But sadly, this drive didn't get me through the next few PE sessions. When the distance was increased to 4km, I actually started walking after running 2km. Weird right? My stamina actually seem to have gotten worst. I don't understand why though...

Then came the day when it was increased to 5km. I ACTUALLY MANAGED TO FINISH RUNNING IT WITHOUT STOPPING. Like wow. I suddenly jumped from 3km to 5km which was really weird for me cause I couldn't even run 3km the last PE lesson. I think my stamina fluctuates or smth. Even thought I've completed 5km, I still dread every second PE lesson cause I know they'll make us run under the scorching hot sun. Karis and I were super happy that we both ran together and here's a photo of us after our PE lesson.


Time seems to fly past really fast. Before I knew it, it was 1 day before Will Run. A week before Will Run, there was a trial run. Basically it's for those who were on long term MC, those helping out on the actual day, some teachers and friends who were running for their other friends. Everyone had to clock in 10km so if you're unwell, your friend would have to run for you. I wasn't involved in the trial run but the stories I heard about it definitely helped me. Jeng Woon and Ben were telling me how there were people cheering them on the whole time and they felt really motivated. Nevertheless, I still felt really nervous cause the furthest I've ran is 5km and I have to magically double that. I tweeted about my nervousness and Wai Yheng told me that if she can do it, I can do it too. Awwwww. That actually did motivate me and was what I thought of when I was running the next day. WY, if you're reading this, thank you(:

We all had to report at 6.45am(really early I know) and I still had doubts that I could accomplish the distance. I didn't really have a target in mind but my motto was stop if I can't feel my legs and walk the rest of the distance HAHAHA. Ok I realise that it's been very wordy so here are some photos before the event(:




Finally the time has come. All the girls had to report at the field to do our warm ups. Halfway through the warm ups, a loud buzzer(idk what it's called) could be heard and the run had started! Omg omg omg. I was so nervous. I just started jogging at my usual pace with Karis and Donna. I normally run with both of them cause we run at about the same pace. Running buddies ftw! There was music playing and you could hear the guys cheering us on as well. The guys were stationed all around the place where we ran past so that they could cheer for us. Everytime I ran past those from my class, they would scream GO ANGIE RUN RUN RUN. HAHAHA they were so cute. These cheers might seem really normal but it was what kept me going the whole time. I looked forward to running a round so that I could hear my classmate's voices again.

After about 2 rounds, I kind of know where everyone's positions were. I knew where my OG friends were seated and all so whenever I ran past them, I would keep a look out hahaha! What I loved was that they were all stationed everywhere and not just at one place. It would be quite sad if you only got cheers at 1 spot and then have no one cheers for you for the next 600m right? And of course, I had lots of fun running with Karis as well. Sadly, we didn't finish the run together because she started walking. Well we ran together for about 6km and during that time, we kept cheering each other on(: We ran with Donna as well but for about 4km only.

After I hit my 5th km, I continued to run. I was thinking maybe I should try to make a new record and only walk when I really can't do it anymore. The thought of being able to say I've ran 6km was really, really motivating. I mean we all want to do better right? So I didn't stop and continued running. I ran past my class, Paul, Han and Ming Sheng who constantly cheered for me hahaha! I love my classmates and OG friends so much<3 

On my 8th km, MS actually ran beside me for awhile which kind of spurred me on cause I was thinking of giving up then alr. Well I continued the run and I FINALLY FINISHED 10KM. That was my goal on my 9th round. Complete 10km complete 10km complete 10km. It's like a chant during my 9th round. You know the saying that goes smth like when you have what you originally wanted, you'd want more? Smth like that but it's true(in a good way) in this case. After accomplishing 10km, there was still time so I wanted to finish 11km. The last round was really hard cause I was physically exhausted. Remember, the furthest I've ran prior to the event was 5km and I've alr doubled that. I was jogging really slowly but I nvr stopped. I even encouraged strangers along the way and I started jogging with people whom I've never met before. When I've finished my 11th km, I knew that was it. There wasn't enough time to go for another round and my body couldn't take it anymore. I was elated but couldn't show it cause I was really giddy and all. Weird how I didn't felt it when I was running but only when I've stopped. All of us were really happy and went round hugging each other. Yes, we gave really huge sweaty hugs HAHAHA. But that's what a class spirit is all about right? (:

The sweatiest hug of all was with Karis. We were running buddies during PE lessons and we always motivated each other. I felt really happy for her and vice versa that we managed to do it! Make it the sweatiest and longest hug of the day hahaha. Jolene actually ran 12km and it was her first time accomplishing this distance too! Check out our little dance on my ig(angieysw) which was like a YOLO moment cause everyone was staring.

It was then the guys tun to run so we did what we do best and started taking photos! Wanted to capture all our sweaty faces so we looked like we ran a lot hehehe.








Jo and I then decided to get some froyo which we actually had to queue for about 30 mins D: I have no idea why we decided to join the queue but oh well, at least we managed to get some froyo in the end. The DSLR was then passed to JL and she took some photos of the guys running.

(2672 is Han! My only Korean friend!)






And here's our CT Mr Chee! Disclaimer: I didn't take all these photos and I'm not sure who did using my camera HAHAHA.

(He actually posed at the camera haha)




And then there's the thorn of 01's roses. The guys.




 

I can't seem to find the photos with Joel in it oops. Hahaha oh well.

After Jo and I finished eating our froyo, we started playing with bubbles. Brought back so much childhood memories! We started cheering on the guys and blew bubbles. I really loveeee blowing bubbles. Karis was all "Guys! Catch the bubbles!" Hahaha she's such a little girl at heart. But the guy runners actually seemed more motivated. I'm pretty sure I was judged really badly cause I was going crazy with the bubbles. Oopsy! But it was really fun!!




(I had to change places depending on the direction of the wind)




The following photos are taken by JL. I didn't know she was taking photos of me blowing bubbles btw haha.

(Managed to motivate that guys to run faster haha!)

(Favourite photo of the event!)



When all the runs were over, we headed to the gallery for the closing ceremony. Our school's target was to cover 20, 018km, the distance from North to South Pole. Seems a lot right? Mrs. Wong then announced that we completed 20,143km!!!! That's 125km more than we originally planned! Can't believe the distance we covered as a school.

We did the school cheers, sang the school song and did the college dance! It was a really fun way to close the event. There were even mascots! The people in it were actually the guys from ODAC hahaha. The actions of the mascots were the cutest!!!



Here are some more photos of the event!









Well I definitely don't love running still but I can say that this event did have an impact on me. I came to SR hating running but now I'm neutral about it. That's still an improvement right? With that being said, I still prefer doing other kind of activities. Running is still at the bottom at my exercising list hahaha. But that's not the point of the run. Will Run allows you to find your inner strength and determination to do the best that you can. That's really important in JC. That you would nvr give and strive to do better. It's about overcoming barriers and finding out what you can achieve. That's definitely the most important takeaway for me.

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."
                   Confucius                      

No comments:

Post a Comment