Friday 16 August 2013

Selfish Gene Cafe

I have recently found the most relaxing way to blog. Nope it's not lying on the bed but instead, sitting on my massage chair, playing music via the speakers on it and doing a nice 15 mins massage. I nvr know why I nvr thought of doing this but I'm definitely gona be sitting on my massage chair a lot more often now hahaha.

As most of you know, my birthday was last Sunday. Huge thanks to everyone who celebrated my birthday with me, especially my lovely class who planned a mini surprise party for me on Monday! Being a brunch foodie, I suggested going for brunch on my birthday itself with my family. However brunch can be a little pricey when you're going with your family. I mean there's 6 of us and it can easily amount to a little too much for brunch. After all, you basically just have eggs and toast during brunch. Keeping this in mind, I started doing a little research for brunch places that aren't too pricey. Preferably under $20 for each person. I went to ladyironchef.com and checked out his recommendations for Singapore's inexpensive restaurants when I found out about Selfish Gene Cafe.

Did a little math and it should cost about $20 approx per person so I decided to go there. Location wise, it's at Chinatown area. A little inconvenient to get to if you're not driving cause it's kind of in an alley. 1 thing I love about going out with my family, they can drive so I get to go to places I don't normally go to hehe.


It's a pretty average sized cafe. Can get a little crowded during lunch hour. Luckily for us, we got there at around 2pm. Just missed the brunch crowd and was ahead of the tea crowd. At around 2.30pm, we saw people queuing for seats alr. We originally planned to go a little earlier but we all kind of overslept and everyone was taking so long to get ready!!! I was done in probably about 15 mins but the rest took an hour. I guess it's a good thing that they took so long if not we would have been queuing for a seat. Okay anw, I found the place pretty echo-ish. It isn't the kind of peaceful, quiet cafe. You could definitely hear people talking, quite loud actually. I assume it's cause of the walls. You know... echo. With that being said, it's not as if it's unbearable. It just isn't the quiet cafe.

One thing good about SGC is that it has no service charge!!! I believe we can all agree that service charge can be such a rip off sometimes. Customers have to go up to the counter to order and you'll be given a number plate. A waiter/waitress will then serve your food to your table. I wish more places were like that.


While looking at the menu, I must say that there isn't a huge variety of food available. In fact, only 1 dish appealed to all of us. It was the Breakfast Plate which almost all of us ordered. I guess it's because it contains everything you want during brunch. Rifdi couldn't order it though because there was pork in it so he got something else.

Breakfast Plate ($15.80)

And here it is! It consisted of toast, ham, sauteed mushrooms, scrambled eggs, tomatoes and a sausage. I thought it was pretty decent for its price. A few days prior to my birthday, I went to Kith Cafe and ordered smth similar as well. If I had to compare the 2, I would say that the scrambled eggs at SGC was better because it was served warm whereas the sauteed mushrooms at Kith Cafe tasted better. I guess on average I don't really have any preference between the 2. The toast was done pretty well and I actually took my brother's toast hehehe. Privilege of being the birthday girl. Well he actually doesn't want it but I'd like to think that he was being nice :D

BOB ($15.80)

Here is what Rifdi ordered. I'm not sure why it's called BOB but it basically contains a toast, salmon and poached eggs. Personally, I've nvr had poached eggs before. Please don't judge! I just love scrambled eggs so I always order them. Well I tried poached eggs for the first time and mmmm let's just say it's not really my cup of tea. I don't like eating the yolk actually. I only like it when it's fully cooked and not all watery. I was asking Rifdi how it was and he said the poached eggs was quite good actually. I had a bite of the toast as well and I must say the toast was AWESOME. I kept asking for more toast cause it was really good. If you're a poached eggs and toast lover, BOB is the set for you.

Cafe Latte ($4.80)

Time to talk about the drinks! Here is what my parents ordered. I'm not an expert on latte so I can't really tell what makes a good latte. I just really like it cause of the flower design on top of it. Doesn't it look pretty?! Simple but makes a statement.

Hot Chocolate with Cream ($5.80)

There's just smth about hot chocolate that goes well with brunch. I didn't have to think about what drink I wanted. Apparently, my bother as well since he managed to scream "I want hot chocolate" faster than me hehe. I actually did enjoy this cup of hot chocolate. It wasn't too sweet as most of them are. I had an iced chocolate at Food For Thought awhile back and towards the end, it was sooooo sweet! It was almost impossible to finish it because it was way too sweet. However, the one at SGC was done just nice(:

Ice Matcha Latte

Here's what my sister got. Can't rmb the price of it unfortunately but it should be around $4.50-$5.50 just like the other drinks. I had a sip and it taste pretty much like your ordinary Matcha Latte.

Chocolate Cake

We decided to get dessert at SGC cause we were all too lazy to walk. Rifdi originally told us of a pretty good place for desserts at Chinatown area but we were pigs and decided to stay there. Here's what my brother got. I thought it tasted average but my brother really liked it. Guess you have to love sponge cakes!

Banana Cake

I have a thing for bananas lately. Banana pancakes, waffles and now... cake. This is a mini load of banana cake served warm with caramel, banana, crumble and peanut butter sauce. I really loved this cake. Thumbs up!! When I say warm, I mean really, really warm. What I love about cakes hehe. It tasted really good because it was served warm. Not only did it have bananas on top of it but it had slices of bananas in the cake as well. Definitely a must try and 1 of my favourite dish from SGC.

Well here are some more photos we took at SGC!













Selfish Gene Cafe - 40 Craig Road
                                S089678

"Every year on your birthday, you get a chance to start new."
Sammy Hagar

No comments:

Post a Comment