Sunday 7 July 2013

Pasarbella - A Farmer's Market

Woke up today feeling crappy cause the only event I had planned was to have tuition. To make it worse, it was Maths Tuition. Luckily, my tutor cancelled tuition if not I wouldn't have the opportunity to visit the most unique place ever in Singapore. I don't think that many of you know what Pasarbella is because it isn't super popular but you sure are missing out!

Pasarbella is basically a super high class market place at Bukit Timah. In case you're wondering, yes it is air conditioned :D The items they sell ranges from macaroons to balloons. They have lots of stores and the way the shops display their items makes you feel like you're not in Singapore. Maybe somewhere in Australia. In some shops, even the cashiers are Caucasian. Now that's not smth you normally see in Singapore. It's so cool and I honestly felt like I went on a short vacation when I was at Pasarbella.

When I first entered the place, I was blown away by the surroundings and the fresh Japanese seafood that greeted us near the entrance. The first stall that was at the entrance we entered from sold Japanese food. The lobsters and hums were so big! The hums were actually the biggest hums I've ever seen in my life. We were wondering how to show how big the hums were without something to use as a scale to show you the proportion so we asked the guy behind the counter if we could hold it. He was so friendly and showed us how to hold it. I nvr knew but the shell is actually kind of furry. Weird right? You'd normally think it's hard but this one is furry. So here are some photos of it along with some other seafood.













There are seats for you to order some seafood near the store. We didn't try any though because we didn't want to eat something too heavy. There were just too many things we wanted to try so we decided to get small bites instead(:

Moving on, we entered The Cheese Ark, a shop which sold cheese. Rifdi was telling me how his boss brought him there to eat cheese. Well I'm sure all of you know, cheese doesn't smell that good... You really need to have a particular liking for it in order to enjoy it. But being me, I totally forgot that cheese smells horrible then. Rifdi told me to enter the shop and I smartly did. Omg... the smell was indescribable. On the bright side, it got better after about 1 min. I could finally walk around the shop to take a look at the different types of cheese. It's funny cause everyone seem to have a 'this smells funny' expression when they entered the shop. Definitely somewhere you should check out!If you're up for the challenge, try some cheese!



After that, we just walked around visiting all the shops(: It was so cool cause of the way the items are arranged. You'll know what I mean when you see the photos ltr. There were quite a few shops selling wine actually so I snapped some photos of it.









Oh! And there was a shop selling balloons too! The balloons they sold are the cutest! There was so many different designs and even their normal balloons are different. You know those that we usually buy in packets? They come in a few colour but each balloon is only 1 colour. Well this balloon shop is different! They have balloons which says happy birthday in gold and other has designs on them. They even had a sign which tell you how long the different types of balloons last! Really impressed and was tempted to get one but didn't cause I wouldn't blow it up anyway. Maybe I should have gotten one that was alr inflated and walk around with it like a little girl hehehe



Somewhere near the balloon shop, there's a shop that sells coffee bean! Personally, I'm not a fan of coffee. The closest I get to coffee is Starbucks. Unlike me, Rifdi is a huge fan of coffee and he can drink the most bitter coffee ever and still find it good. I have no idea how... According to him, it grows along with age. Maybe one day I'll learn to appreciate coffee too! He got so excited smelling all the coffee beans and telling us how his office have the best coffee maker ever haha. In one of the photos I took, he look like he was doing drugs and I was laughing at him. Now that I think of it, I didn't smell any coffee beans. I'm so gona do it the next time I'm there!







What is the opposite of coffee? Tea! No prizes for getting that one right. Just opposite the coffee shop,(if I'm not wrong) there is a shop selling tea!









Then, we stopped to have a lunch break! More like a tea break actually cause it was around 4pm when we ate. We were thinking about what to eat cause there was absolutely too many food we want to try! We decided on French in the end cause I was craving for crepes and the French stall has it. Rifdi and my sister decided on the rest of the food they would like to order from the French stall. So we ordered the Caramel, Butter Salt Crepes and Paella. Not sure what Paella is? Not surprise cause I won't know what it is from the name too. I'm not sure what exactly is in Paella but I'll try my best to tell you guys! Well there was yellow rice, chicken, prawn and clam in it. It's like a combination of seafood. Yeah.. I probably didn't do a good job of telling y'all what it is so here are some photos instead.









We shared all the food :D Okay actually I ate 3/4 of the crepes but I couldn't help myself! It was just toooooo good! I emphasise on the good. You know what? I'd say it was spectacular. It's a really simple dish but the salted caramel blew me away. Sometimes the best food are the ones that aren't the 'flashy' ones. To make it even better, it was only $3! I'm craving for it right now and it is a must try if you ever visit Parsabella! Must must must. Oh and that's the photo of Paella. Maybe you'll know what I was trying to describe haha. The cutlery provided was a wooden fork and spoon. It's just too cute! Taste a little weird at the beginning cause you can actually taste the wood but it's fine after awhile haha.

We were still hungry after so we ordered chicken too! The photo is in my sister's phone so I'll add it to this post when I transfer it over(: (Added)





Oh! I almost forgot to mentioned the best part. There was a live band!!! The singer is a Caucasian so he had a really laid back, sleek kind of voice. The songs performed lightened the mood because it's the really jazz kind of song. The band consisted of a singer and a guitarist. It was nice listening to Jazz music for a change and it did fit the environment there. It definitely felt like we are out of Singapore.

When you think of a Farmer's Market, what do you think of? I think of fresh fruits and that's exactly what I'm going to talk about next! The way the fruits were named and displayed was really creative and made it look so much more attractive. We didn't get any cause we don't usually buy fruits. I'm sure my mum would have bought some for us though if she was there.







Doesn't it look yummy? Compared to those in the supermarket where they all basically all thrown together. It's so colourful and bright! I thought the way the cherries and tomatoes are placed in brown bags are pretty cool and fits the place.

Ok so other than fruits in a market, there will always be flowers! Pretty, pretty flowers are always found at a market(: Well this flower shop actually have lessons for flower arranging on Saturdays actually. Quite cool right? Of course, they sold a lot more different and exotic types of flowers than those at a normal market. They had peonies too!













We then decided to stop for ice cream. There's 1 ice cream shop at Pasarbella and the flavours are delicious! I'm pretty sure we tried a spoonful of at least half of the ice cream flacours they had cause we wanted to try almost all hahaha. Some of the ice cream are so colourful as well! We decided on 2 scoops in the end. I can't remember which one they were but one was ... beer and the other was Love Potion(:










(I was actually smiling at another camera for the last 2 photos and not purposely posing in case you're wondering haha)

It was really good and cost $7. Would love to try the other flavours as well if given the chance! I'm sure it's pretty soon actually since I told Jolene about this place and we're planning on visiting it soon. I love having a friend who is also a foodie hehehe. Haven't had ice cream for such a long time and someone needs to tell me why I haven't had it for so long. On the plus side, it made the ice cream I had taste even better :D Another must try when you're at Pasarbella! You totally should just ask them for a spoon of almost all the flavours hahaha(Don't tell anyone I said that)

The most basic food there is is probably bread. Of course there's a bread shop at Pasarbella too! I'm telling you, they have everything haha. 1 of the bread shop actually sold Cronuts which is a combination of Croissant and Doughtnut. It's a hit in NYC and it's the first time they have brought it to Singapore. Unfortunately by then, we were too full alr. Do let me know if it's good if you've tried it before!









Doesn't the bread look really fresh? If my memory serves me correctly, there was an open kitchen concept at this bakery so you could see how the bread are made. One thing is for sure, the smell of bread was fabulous. The shop sold really colourful cupcakes too! I really need to go back sometime soon cause there's so many more food that I haven't tried!

Here are some more photos from today's little field trip.


























(The carrots are too cute alr)






(Yup! This can be eaten. Too pretty to eat though)


(This was the sign for the toilet which was called the Room of Ease btw haha)





















So this marks the end of this post(: Next post would be about horsies hehehe. So happy cause I got to touch one today. Oh yeah! If you want to find out more about Pasarbella and information on how to get there, click on this link!

Row Row Your Boat Top in Navy Stripes - Aforarcade
Bobbi Black Pinafore Shorts - Missypixie
Brown Flats - Rubi
Brown Fedora - Bangkok
Watch - Fossil

Pasarbella - The Grandstand Bukit Timah
                    200 Turf Club Road S287994

"People who love to eat are always the best people."
Julia Child

No comments:

Post a Comment