Saturday 4 May 2013

Shakespeare in the park: Othello

It's been a really long time since I've blogged but here's a little update on what happened yesterday. I've been waiting for this event for sooooo long and it's finally here! Shakespeare in the park :D I've always wanted to go for it but for some reason, always had something on. So glad that my school got tickets for all the lit students. I had a really really fun time with all my classmates and the play was splendid. Can't wait to go for it next year again!

Well school ended at 12.30pm so I met up with Jolene at around 4pm to have a late lunch! We took such a long time deciding what to eat and ended up eating at Swensens'. We're always having trouble deciding what to eat hahaha.













We were really happy cause there was a student promotion going on and our main course + a drink only cost around $11 :D Okay but Jolene was very unhappy with what she ordered cause the proportion of mushroom to chicken in her pasta was about 5:1 hahaha.  I ordered the Beef Bolognese and it was actually my first time trying it. It is really really good! Not only did it look amazing, it tastes as good as well! Yum yum. I don't know about you but I love baked cheese. The cheese on the Beef Bolognese was really tasty and I can't wait to go back to eat it again :D For dessert, we originally wanted to order Banana Crumble but it was sold out so we went with the 2nd best option, Apple Crumble. It really wasn't that fantastic. The apple was kind of hard and honestly, we probably shouldn't have ordered it. Nevertheless, Banana Crumble is still really good and it's still my favourite dessert from Swensens'!







Don't you just love having a friend who can bake? I know I do. Jolene baked some really good chocolate cookies for the picnic! Can't help but munch on them before giving it to my always hungry classmates hahaha.We met up with Jeng Woon and Rachel and unexpectedly, took some neoprints! Omg, it's been ages since I last took one. I think it was about 2 years ago. Can't believe 4 17 years old went to the arcade to relive out childhood. We had loads of fun decorating our photos and acting like we're 10 year olds.





Okay, back to the main point of this post. Shakespeare in the park! We walked from Dhoby Ghaut MRT to Fort Canning Park where the event would be held. Even though gates only opens at 6.30pm the queue was ridiculously long even at 6pm. Well we probably should have expected it since this is such a huge and publicised event. Take a look at the queue!



But it was all worth the wait. It was such a memorable event and a really good experience. I never really had a picnic before and am not really the outdoor kind of girl so this was a new experience for me. The sound effects were so good! At one part of the play, they showed a helicopter on the screen. The sound system was so good that you'd actually think that a helicopter was there! I still remember Jolene asking me if the helicopter was real hahahaha. And the acting was superb! I really wonder how they memorised their lines. As a lit student, I constantly have to memorise quotes from Othello in order to write them out during the exam. Even then, I have trouble memorising them. However, the cast memorised every single line and performed it with such splendid emotions! In the Othello poster, Desdemona was a blonde so I really got a shock when the actress turned out to be Chinese hahaha. Okay but that aside, the play was really really really good. Here are some pictures of the event (:
































(Okay this was my favourite picture of the lot)
















And finally, the cast of Othello!



The play would not have been a success if it wasn't for them. So thankful to have been able to experience such an amazing play right here in Singapore.

Last night was a memorable night and I'm really blessed to have such beautiful classmates in my life. Life in school won't be the same without them and I really hope we would move on to year 2 together(: If you've missed Othello this year, be sure to catch another Shakespeare play next year!  You can actually vote on what Shakespeare play you want next year on their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/singaporerepertorytheatre) I can't wait to go for Shakespeare in the park again next year<3

No comments:

Post a Comment