Tuesday 30 December 2014

Random Thoughts at 3am

A little different from what I usually blog about but I'm flying off at 6+am which means I have to leave the house at 4.45am. Just finished packing my luggage and it doesn't really seem to make sense to sleep now cause I'll have to wake up an hour later.

Well for those who don't know, I've embarked on a 25days trip to Hong Kong with 3 different group of friends joining me. I've been to HK a lot of times but it's really the first that I'm traveling around and exploring the country like a tourist. It's quite interesting actually, exploring my own country from a different perspective. (I'm a Singaporean and a HK PR)

Truth to be told, I did have a certain impression of people from HK from the stories I've heard; that they're generally a lot more fast paced, rude at times and to sum it up, not that friendly. Well some of it are true (omg the taxi driver today was super rude?!) but I've also met really amazing people. On the first day, the group of us were kind of lost at Mongkok because we still didn't really know how to navigate the alleys. We were just standing, staring at the phone and talking about maybe asking for directions. That's when I noticed that a man about to walk pass us Sounds weird that I'll notice that man out of the crowd but he was carrying a goldfish which makes him hard to miss! 30 seconds later, he walked back backwards and asked if we were lost. I'm pretty sure he heard our conv and decided to help out.

Simple act of kindness but it really made our day. It was so heartwarming that he actually bothered to walk backwards to us when he could have simply go on ahead. He even walked with us and talked to me to know more about Singapore. He ended up walking with us for a good 300m and left us to ourselves when the path was a straight one so he could make sure we won't get lost again.

Speaking about directions, we got kind of lost again at Causeway Bay. This time, more of not being able to find a taxi stand. HK taxis are really interesting in the sense that they are grouped according to where they go to. Red taxis travel to the Kowloon and Hong Kong area whereas green ones go to the New Territories area. In order to travel across areas, you have to take cross border cabs which are red and there are specific taxi stands for them. Being tourists, we of course have no idea where to find such taxi stands.

We initially got on a red cab and asked if he travelled cross border and that's when the cab driver said there's a cross border cab stand behind. We walked for so long but couldn't find it omggggg. That was actually the first time I've heard of cross border taxis (I usually just follow my family) and so I was quite clueless as to what it's all about. So I walked into a shop and said "Um, excuse me but what is a cross border taxi?" HAHAHA. Such a silly question but the guy explained it to me and pointed me in the right direction. So we said bye and left. That's when the guy ran out and said he'll bring us there. Found out where he was staying and stuff like that cause we talked the whole way through.

So there are really nice people in HK and I'm just so blessed to have crossed paths with them (:

Time to disturb Vanessa and pester her for the next hour! Ciao for now!

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment