Wednesday 29 January 2014

Yu Garden Bazaar

Yu Garden Bazaar is a very popular tourist destination in Shanghai because of the amazing food that can be found there. What do you think of when you think of the word bazaar? Personally, I think of lights lighting up a dark street, street side food, performances and shops selling mini items. Well other than the performances, everything else can be found at Yu Garden Bazaar(:

During our 7 days in Shanghai, we went to YGB twice actually. The first time was a quick trip for lunch so we didn't have time to shop. The second time was the best because we had about an hr of free time to wander off on our own. YGB is actually Jolene's favourite place we visited and although it wasn't my ultimate favourite (my favourite being Tian Zi Fang), it definitely is on my top 5 places to go in Shanghai.

Being able to go to YGB both during the day and night is really an amazing experience. It's definitely one of the more 'traditional' places in Shanghai. Here's how it looks in the day!

 

And at night!

 
 

Well of course I preferred it at night with all the lights but it was really hard to capture nice images of the place. These photos don't do YGB justice but I tried my best to snap some shots! Group 1 being group 1, the first shop we entered was a food shop. Those that sell Shanghai snacks in packet form so that we can bring some home for our friends and family. After being in Shanghai for 4 days then, all these shops really sell the same type of snack. Nothing new so HJ and I decided to fool around and take photos instead haha!

 

One of my things to eat in Shanghai list consisted of Bing Tang Hu Lu. The first time I ate it in Shanghai was on the first day actually when we went shopping. The second time was at YGB and this time, I manage to persuade Jolene to get one too!

 
 

Krittin also managed to find a shop which sells Tang Bao. For all of you who don't really know what it is, Tang Bao is basically like Xiao Long Bao. Just that it's wayyyyy bigger and you actually use a straw to drink the soup. Don't get what I mean? Well here are some photos to show you guys!(:

 

Unfortunately, the store we visited was quite bad actually... We couldn't really drink any soup and I think that our baos were placed in the open for a long period of time cause the skin was hard. We did pass by another stall which sold Tang Baos too though. Didn't try it cause we were alr super full haha! But Tang Baos are definitely a must try when you're in Shanghai! Such a unique experience

We roamed around a little more and before we knew it, it was time for dinner so we all headed back to the restaurant. I'd definitely recommend going at night instead of the day because the lights make the place a lot prettier! I don't know why but to me, a bazaar should be at night, where all the crowds start to form. It really makes you feel like you're at a bazaar? Haha weird but that's just how I feel(:

Here are a few more shots from YGB!


 
 
 
 

"It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters, in the end."
Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment