Sunday 11 May 2014

Ronin

One of the more hipster cafes in Singapore has definitely got to be Ronin. It deserves more recognition because the concept and food there is one of the best I've had. When I was telling my friends about Ronin, I must say that I wasn't exactly shocked that most of them have nvr heard of the place even though they constantly check out brunch places. Even I have nvr heard of the place when Rifdi told me about it.

Went out a few weeks back with Rifdi and my sister to Ronin cause Rifdi wanted to play the big brother (not complaining but loving it) and treat me to a nice meal after being brave at the dentist haha! Ronin is really convenient to get to unlike most brunch places. It's about a 5 mins walk from Clarke Quay MRT station.

After getting off the car, we started walking to the cafe. I didn't even know that we walked pass it until Rifdi told us! The place is so hipster it doesn't even have the cafe's signboard. Their signboard is more of a logo.

 

See what I mean!

Well anw, after entering, Rifdi's occupational hazard started to kick in and he was praising the interior design of the place. Apparently his boss or his friend (can't rmb) played a part in designing the place and lots of effort were put into it by the cafe's boss! He ordered some kind of pipe which was different from the usual ones cause he wanted to paint it black. And in order to do so, you have to have some machine to drill tiny holes in the pipe so that the paint will stay (?) Smth like that! Most of the time, all i was hearing was ....black....pipes....rare...overseas haha!

The cafe is really dim as well which makes taking photos a little difficult. Nevertheless, we used the night mode on our camera to snap some photos! The waiters are all really friendly as well and of course they are given the fact that they interact so much with the customers! Ronin works on a no menu concept so in a way, it force the waiters to talk to us cause they have to recite the whole menu haha!

Quite an interesting method to ensure that customers feel more 'at home'. They only had 3 dishes and they're basically toast with scrambled eggs, sandwiches and french toast. Rifdi was saying how if they only have 3 dishes, they better be good and turns out, they were! Hands down one of the best brunch place I've been to so far.

 
Toast with Scrambled Eggs

Here's what Rifdi and I ordered! Always up for scrambled eggs when it's time for brunch! I chose to have the portobello mushroom for the side while Rifdi chose mutton sausage. I love have there's tiny bits of sea salt in the egg. For the sausage, the mutton taste is quite strong so you'd definitely like it if you're a mutton lover. I'd recommend this dish if you're checking the place out!

French Toast

Another really delicious dish there. I've nvr had such good French Toast before! I'm not kidding. This is definitely better than the one I had at Chock Full of Beans. The price is quite reasonable as well! It was $9+ if I rmb correctly. My sister chose to have sliced apples with it and boy was it yummy. It's usually served with bacon but Rifdi can't eat that so she changed em!



And here are our drinks! They're Wicked, Cafe Latte and Flat White respectively. Wicked is basically a combination of mocha and mint. Quite an interesting drink but a little too bitter for my liking. Not a huge coffee person.

Oh and here's me trying to look sophistcated hehehe


Do pay Ronin a visit if you're looking to check out a new place!

Ronin - 17 Hong Kong Street
             S059660

"I am not a glutton - I am an explorer of food!"
Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment