Saturday 7 February 2015

喜喜冰室

When I was in Hong Kong, I went out with my cousin there who told me about this really interesting place to dine at. It's called 喜喜冰室(Match Box) and what's so interesting about it is that its design is very similar to a cafe you'll find in Hong Kong in the 70s. And so of course I had to check it out!

Here's the exterior of the shop which I thought was really cute just cause of the bike parked there haha! Anywho, it's conveniently located at Causeway Bay so it's a good place to drop by if you're there. In fact, right next to 喜喜冰室 is I.T. which Vanny and I spent a good hour at. Their Christmas sales are just too good to give a miss!

菠萝火腿($55)

The thing about the place is that their menu is in traditional chinese so it was quite a chore to read it. Ended up just looking at the photos to decide what to get! This is what Van got and honestly, we didn't really know what it is. There was a short description of what it is below its name but all we could read is honey hahaha! Well so I asked Van to describe what she was tasting and she said there's an half cooked egg, warm pineapple, ham, cheese, pancake, tomato and honey. Yeah it's a really weird combi but somehow it worked! As quoted from her, it's "uniquely weird" and "doesn't seem edible but nice". Haha! We were both staring at the dish half the time cause it just seems weird but Van still managed to finish it. Something new and interesting for a change.

黑白多士($19)

I ordered this because I've never seen such a french toast before. The usual ones in Hong Kong are those with pork floss, peanut butter, milk. You know, the typical kind. And so I decided to give this a shot! For some reason, it didn't hit me that it's black sesame when I saw the photo hahaha. Okay so I only realised that when I tasted it and it was pretty decent! Plus HKD$19 is only SGD$3.20. That's insanely cheap! It's even a dollar cheaper than a cup of tea there. I was laughing at Van cause her tea itself was more expensive than my lunch alr.

喜喜冰室 was quite packed when we got there but we didn't have to wait for seats. Everyone just ate really fast cause that's how cafes in Hong Kong works. Everyone eats insanely fast cause of the fast pace lifestyle over there haha. I do recommend checking this place out if you're visiting Hong Kong cause the food it serves is quite unique and different! (:

喜喜冰室 - 銅鑼灣加寧街8號海倫大廈地下

"Food is everything. Food, friends, family: Those are the most important things in life."
Zac Posen

No comments:

Post a Comment